This website uses cookies. By continuing you permit us to deploy cookies, as detailed in our Privacy Policy.  Accept
 

Description

MR - Composite Carriage (1876)

Mouse Over image to Zoom

MR - Composite Carriage (1876) MR - Composite Carriage (1876) MR - Composite Carriage (1876)

Click on image to select

MR - Composite Carriage (1876)

MIDLAND RAILWAY DOUBLE-BOGIE CARRIAGES (1876).

It is now about two years since the Midland Railway Company commenced running Pullman cars on their line, the first regular service of these cars having been established, as many of our readers will remember, between London and Bradford. The result of the working of these cars was so satisfactory to the company that they soon largely extended their use of double-bogie passenger stock; and when about fourteen months ago {vide page 203 of our nineteenth volume), we described and illustrated the Pullman drawing-room and sleeping cars, the Midland Company had either on their line or in course of construction, G8 double-bogie carriages, of which 25 were Pullman drawing-room cars, 11 Pullman sleeping cars, and the remaining 32 first and third class double-bogie carriages variously arranged.

The whole of these carriages had two four-wheeled bogies, the four-wheeled bogie having at first been adopted in preference to the six-wheeled type, partly with a view, we believe, of saving some dead weight, although the experience in America had been strongly in favour of the additional ease of running obtained by the use of bogies with six wheels. Recently, however, some very fine composite carriages with two six-wheeled bogies have been placed on the line, and they are now being used, amongst other services, on the trains for working the Scotch traffic via the company’s new Settle and Carlisle line, recently described in our pages.

These carriages have been built from the design of Mr. T. G. Clayton, the superintendent of the carriage and wagon department of the Midland Railway, through whose courtesy we arc this week enabled to place full engravings of them before our readers. Altogether 44 of these carriages are either at work or in course of construction, 32 being in course of delivery by the Metropolitan Carriage Company of Birmingham, and 12 by the Ashbury Carriage Company of Openshaw, Manchester. As will be seen, on reference to the two-page engraving which we publish this week, the new carriages differ materially in their constructive details from the Pullman cars we described fourteen months ago.

The latter carriages had no side doors,  and it was therefore possible to get great vertical stiffness in the bodies by the employment of a deep trussed framing introduced below the windows. Tile new carriages, on the other hand, are divided into compartments, with side doors as in ordinary English practice, and the necessary vertical stiffness between the points of support on the bogies has therefore had to be obtained in a different manner to that resorted to in the Pullman cars. The new carriages have also been specially designed so that they may not only work in trains by themselves, but may also be available for use with ordinary stock, having side buffers, or may connect and work in with the Pullman cars.

To arrange this was attended with several practical difficulties, but these have been overcome by the adoption of a particular arrangement of buffers and couplings, the coupling and draw gear being constructed to meet all the above-mentioned requirements. The carriages have also been designed with a view of obtaining very steady running at high speeds, and we believe that they leave nothing to be desired in this respect. Their length and weight causes them to be less affected by any little irregularities on the road than smaller and lighter vehicles, and the six-wheeled bogies on which they are carried conduce materially, as we have already stated, to the ease of riding.

Thus the use of six wheels to each bogie not only relieves the tyres and springs by reducing the weight on each wheel, but reduces also the shock sustained at a bad joint. The bogie frames, of which we give detailed views on the opposite page, are constructed of wood and iron in combination. The weight of the body rests almost entirely on the centre of the bogie, the centre bearing consisting of a hollow cast-iron cup with a corresponding round faced casting secured to the carriage body, there being a 3-in. pin in the centre which serves to hold the body and bogie together, aud around which the bogie swivels. The bearings under the sides of the carriage frame which touch those on the bolsters of the bogie frame bear little or no weight, being provided principally for the purpose of steadying the carriages and preventing rolling at high speed.

 

Downloads

  • MR - composite carriage (1876) (Size:2.93MB) Download