Products meeting the search criteria
Display: List / Grid
HISTORY OF THE METROPOLITAN RAILWAY. Probably few persons among the many hundreds of thousands annually using the Metropolitan Railway are aware that when it was first opened for traffic, in January, 1863, from Bishop's-road to Farringdon-street, it was a broad-gauge line, worked by broad-gauge engines and carriages. As a matter of fact, it was a "mixed gauge" line, being laid with both the 7ft. and the ordinary 4ft. 8¼ in. gauges, although only broad-gauge rolling stock..
THE METROPOLITAN DISTRICT RAILWAY (1866) The present Metropolitan Railway, extending from Bishop’s-road to Moorgate-street, forms, as is very generally known, but the northern side of an irregular "circle" of underground railways which will surround that part of the metropolis lying between the existing line and the Thames. Of this "inner circle", as it is called, the Metropolitan District Railway will form the southern side, whilst the eastern and western portions wi..
THE ELECTRIFICATION OF THE METROPOLITAN RAILWAY (1904) Our Readers will remember the controversy which took plate some three years ago on the question as to the method of electrification to be employed on the systems of the Metropolitan and District Railways. The Hoard of Trade finally decided that direct current of comparatively low tension — from 500 to 600 volts—was to be used on both railways, which were to arrange matters in such a way that the trains of either company could run on the o..
THE WIDENING OF THE METROPOLITAN RAILWAY (1868) The widening of the Metropolitan Railway between King’s-cross and Farringdon-street stations, with the deviations of the branches to the Great Northern Railway, has been practically completed, and on the 15th of January was formally inspected by Captain Tyler on behalf of the Board of Trade. A constantly increasing traffic has rendered this extension necessary, and the new lines are intended for the service of the Great Western, Great Northe..
Showing 1 to 4 of 4 (1 Pages)